Lesser Of Three Evils

Posted by Kris-Foster | Posted in | Posted on 11:59 pm

So, I watched the Electoral Debate tonight.

Rather underwhelmed if truth be told. Firstly, why ITV? I understand why have it on a terrestrial channel to ensure maximum viewer ship, but ITV is one of the most horrible news outlets in the UK, Britain's answer to Fox News at times. I hate their sensationalist reporting style and I think Alastair Stewart we a terrible choice of moderator. A most stoic BBC correspondent would have given the debate a much needed air of seriousness, the ITV format made the debate an entertainment spectacle more than serious political debate. More about scoring headline-worthy blows and getting viewing numbers than airing political policy, it felt like watching teenagers bickering over their favourite Big Brother contestant.

Argh. Rant over. I must say I am in favour of the televised debates, but it felt more of a gimmick than a useful tool to help undecided voters. Now, the debate itself. Lots of news outlets are claiming a Clegg victory, and tomorrows headlines herald the "Entrance of the outsider" but that was not the impression I got. While Brown and Cameron debated serious policy, Clegg swoops in and patronises both the leaders and the viewers with "this arguing is what has held this country back..." comments that he hoped would end up being the last word before Stewart forces the trio to move on with another question. I went into this debate hoping that Clegg would give a good account of the party and open the English electorate to a third path, and unfortunately, I got a lack-lustre attempt to appear the lesser of three evils.

Comments:

There are 0 comments for the "Lesser Of Three Evils"

Post a Comment